The Labour Party has been at the heart of social change since its inception and this is a time for politicians of the left and those who share our values to come together in the best interests of our country.
It is more important than ever for our party to be a broad church that can reach out. Only the Labour Party has the broad reach across the diverse communities in the country that can address the fundamental divisions exposed by Brexit.
The Tribune Group of Labour MPs that represents over 90 MPs believes that this is the time for us to unite to bring about a Labour government that will deliver social justice and equality.
The Tribune group of MPs want to focus debate in our party on how we grow and achieve government. To do so, we need to remember and cherish our values. Why we formed as a party. What binds us together – the values that underpin our party – and drive the focus for policy. This paper is a contribution to that debate.
The Labour Party has been a radical force for change. The centre-left represented by the Tribune group is critical in framing the arguments that will win over traditional Labour voters and in explaining our values to those who have not voted for us in the past or have stopped seeing us as their first choice. We need to convince these people that it is our core values that they want to see applied in government.
Many of the things that Labour has championed are the things that people expect as basic rights and expectations today – things that became integral to the British Promise. This means we need to re-establish our credentials as the party that is at the core of that British Promise:
- that wants to see everyone flourish and helps the next generation aspire to do better
- that wants everyone to live a life they have reason to value
- recognises the mutual benefits of public and private endeavour
- that the public interest must be expressed by a dynamic, supportive state in society and the economy
- that is fair and is seen to be fair – on taxation, on rights and is on your side
- which is outward looking in the world and puts security of its people at its heart